Mold ad Mildew Stains
Be very careful dealing with mold on your carpet, its best to get the opinion of a certified mold expert.
Dealing with nasty mold and mildew are common cleaning issues that can arise within your home or business. Unfortunately, our Louisiana climate can give mold and mildew the perfect conditions to grow and thrive in, and can be found anywhere from damp clothing to upholstered furniture and carpets.
When you find mold and mildew on your furniture and carpets, and need professional help to get rid of it properly, our expert service professionals at SERVPRO of Lake Charles will use our state of the art equipment to help you take care of your mold issue quickly and safely.
However, if your mold and mildew problems are less catastrophic here are a few simple tips to help you remove mold and mildew from…
Apply a solution of one part bleach to three parts water to the stain and allow the solution to sit for 5-10 minutes, then wash as directed.
If the article of clothing cannot be bleached, try removing the mold with lemon juice or white vinegar. Soak a cotton pad in lemon juice or vinegar and place it on the stain. Allow the solution to soak for several minutes. Then, remove the cotton pad, and sprinkle the area with some salt to further boost the effect of the acid. If possible, place the item in a sunny spot to dry. The sun rays will also bleach stains. Repeat as needed, then wash the garment as usual.
If the mildew stain persists, bring the article to a professional dry cleaner.
...grout and walls
To clean mildew and mold effectively from walls and grout, mix a solution of one part bleach to three parts water. Dampen (don’t soak) a sponge with the solution and apply it to the moldy areas. As the mildew disappears, dry the area using an old towel.
If your upholstered furniture has water damage and a substantial amount of mold growth, it should be replaced.
However, if there's only a small mold stain, you can try using a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution. Blot it on the mold and allow it to work for a minute or so. Rinse solution from the area by alternately dabbing it with a damp cloth or sponge and a dry cotton cloth. This probably will not remove the mold, but it may help lessen the stain.
Consult the professionals at SERVPRO of Lake Charles if the stain persists or reappears.
Does Your Home Have a Mold Problem
Mold can spread through a home in as little as 48 hours
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today 337-478-1133
How do you know if you have a mold problem
Mold in a closet
How Do You Know if You Have a Mold Problem?
If you see mold growing in your home, then obviously you have a mold problem. However, mold often grows in places where it’s not easily spotted, like inside walls, under floors, in attics, and inside heating and air conditioning ducts. If you smell a musty odor in your home, you probably have mold growing somewhere. If your home has been flooded or had extensive water damage of any kind, you almost certainly have some mold, even if you don’t see any. Even a small water leak can cause mold to grow. If you, a family member, or a pet have any of the symptoms described above and you’re not sure of the cause, it’s also possible you have a mold problem.
To find out if you have mold in your home, we recommend hiring a professional mold tester. You can purchase mold tests to conduct yourself, but a professional has been trained to perform the tests correctly in order to get the most accurate results, and also knows where to test for mold in order to make sure all the mold in the home is discovered. They will also return after you’ve had the mold cleaned up by a mold remediation company to test your home again to make sure no mold was missed.