Mold ad Mildew Stains
Dealing with nasty mold and mildew are common cleaning issues that can arise within your home or business. Unfortunately, our Louisiana climate can give mold and mildew the perfect conditions to grow and thrive in, and can be found anywhere from damp clothing to upholstered furniture and carpets.
When you find mold and mildew on your furniture and carpets, and need professional help to get rid of it properly, our expert service professionals at SERVPRO of Lake Charles will use our state of the art equipment to help you take care of your mold issue quickly and safely.
However, if your mold and mildew problems are less catastrophic here are a few simple tips to help you remove mold and mildew from…
Apply a solution of one part bleach to three parts water to the stain and allow the solution to sit for 5-10 minutes, then wash as directed.
If the article of clothing cannot be bleached, try removing the mold with lemon juice or white vinegar. Soak a cotton pad in lemon juice or vinegar and place it on the stain. Allow the solution to soak for several minutes. Then, remove the cotton pad, and sprinkle the area with some salt to further boost the effect of the acid. If possible, place the item in a sunny spot to dry. The sun rays will also bleach stains. Repeat as needed, then wash the garment as usual.
If the mildew stain persists, bring the article to a professional dry cleaner.
...grout and walls
To clean mildew and mold effectively from walls and grout, mix a solution of one part bleach to three parts water. Dampen (don’t soak) a sponge with the solution and apply it to the moldy areas. As the mildew disappears, dry the area using an old towel.
If your upholstered furniture has water damage and a substantial amount of mold growth, it should be replaced.
However, if there's only a small mold stain, you can try using a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution. Blot it on the mold and allow it to work for a minute or so. Rinse solution from the area by alternately dabbing it with a damp cloth or sponge and a dry cotton cloth. This probably will not remove the mold, but it may help lessen the stain.
Consult the professionals at SERVPRO of Lake Charles if the stain persists or reappears.