Best DIY Pet Stain Removal Solution
Call SERVPRO of Lake Charles for removing pet stains in your carpet
Even when you have a well-trained furry friend, accidents can still happen. If the stain they left behind is not properly cleaned right away, it may take the right carpet cleaning professional to get your floor looking and smelling like new again.
When you think of SERVPRO of Lake Charles you probably know we are the industry’s leading experts when it comes to fire and water restoration, but did you also know we can also help you tackle the less disastrous messes, like the ones your favorite pet might occasionally leave behind?
That’s right, if you live in the Lake Charles area, SERVPRO of Lake Charles will help you with your carpet cleaning and odor elimination by using our state of the art equipment. Our experienced technicians are experts at deodorizing and eliminating the source of the odor. For good! Because almost nothing is worse than walking into a home that smells like pet urine! Even if you can’t see the stain, many times it will have saturated the carpet padding underneath, causing a foul smell you won’t be able to get rid without the help of a trained professional.
However, for the smaller pet stain problems you might encounter, here are a couple of inexpensive and easy solutions our experts recommend to help solve your pet stain and odor problems.
The sooner the better when it comes to cleaning urine stains. If you can blot the stain with paper towels when it is still wet you will decrease your chances of having a permanent stain. Once all the excess liquid has been absorbed mix the following simple solution together, put it into a spray bottle, and then spray directly on the stain. Let it sit for at least 10 minutes then use more paper towels to let it dry.
Pet Stain Remover
2 cups vinegar
2 cups warm water
4 tlbs of baking soda
You can also use the baking soda/vinegar method for older stains that have settled into the carpet. However instead of lightly spraying, pour the vinegar directly on to the soiled spot, followed by a couple tablespoons of baking soda over the top of the vinegar. Let it sit and dry for 24 hours, before sweeping and vacuuming up the remaining amount of baking soda.
For cleaning and deodorizing problems that will take more than vinegar and baking soda to get rid of, call SERVPRO of Lake Charles at 337-478-1133
Dealing with Fire Damage
When you need help with fire damage clean up for your home call SERVPRO of Lake Charles (337) 478-1133
Life has enough interruptions and bumps along the way without the unwanted disaster of a house fire. The aftermath is almost as bad but much longer-lasting. Even small fires can use the assistance of a professional cleanup/restoration company. Cooking fires that spread beyond the stove, barbecue grills that go up in smoke, and even small appliances that catch fire can cause damage to surrounding areas.
Small Fires can Pose High Risks
While you should never pour water on a grease fire, nor on an electrical one, many times that is a person's first reaction anywhere. This can cause even more damage. Cooking fires and electrical shorts are common causes of fire damage. It can also create physical risks to people standing nearby. With grease fires, baking soda should be poured into the pan and any grease or oil that has caught fire outside of the cooking pan or skillet instead of water.
With electrical fires the appliance should be unplugged if it can be safely done, but not by pulling on the cord. This can cause the cord to snap, leaving the plug, without the cord, still in the outlet. The power to the area where this is happening should be shut off at the fuse box as quickly as possible to eliminate the hazard.
After the Fire is Out, It's Time to Repair the Damage
When there's been a localized fire, you should have someone assess the damages for you. This can often help with insurance documentation.
Damage can range from blackened walls and countertops to heavily burned surfaces, electrical wires being damaged and requiring replacement, to floors suffering damage so severe they must be replaced to be safe again. Having experts conduct the repairs needed can expedite insurance claims being resolved, as well.
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
At SERRVPRO of Lake Charles, we have highly trained and skilled professionals who are experienced in all sizes of fire damage clean up and restoration. We are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to help clean up and repair fire damage, no matter how large or small. Call us at (337) 478-1133 so you can go back to your daily routine.
Mold ad Mildew Stains
Be very careful dealing with mold on your carpet, its best to get the opinion of a certified mold expert.
Dealing with nasty mold and mildew are common cleaning issues that can arise within your home or business. Unfortunately, our Louisiana climate can give mold and mildew the perfect conditions to grow and thrive in, and can be found anywhere from damp clothing to upholstered furniture and carpets.
When you find mold and mildew on your furniture and carpets, and need professional help to get rid of it properly, our expert service professionals at SERVPRO of Lake Charles will use our state of the art equipment to help you take care of your mold issue quickly and safely.
However, if your mold and mildew problems are less catastrophic here are a few simple tips to help you remove mold and mildew from…
Apply a solution of one part bleach to three parts water to the stain and allow the solution to sit for 5-10 minutes, then wash as directed.
If the article of clothing cannot be bleached, try removing the mold with lemon juice or white vinegar. Soak a cotton pad in lemon juice or vinegar and place it on the stain. Allow the solution to soak for several minutes. Then, remove the cotton pad, and sprinkle the area with some salt to further boost the effect of the acid. If possible, place the item in a sunny spot to dry. The sun rays will also bleach stains. Repeat as needed, then wash the garment as usual.
If the mildew stain persists, bring the article to a professional dry cleaner.
...grout and walls
To clean mildew and mold effectively from walls and grout, mix a solution of one part bleach to three parts water. Dampen (don’t soak) a sponge with the solution and apply it to the moldy areas. As the mildew disappears, dry the area using an old towel.
If your upholstered furniture has water damage and a substantial amount of mold growth, it should be replaced.
However, if there's only a small mold stain, you can try using a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution. Blot it on the mold and allow it to work for a minute or so. Rinse solution from the area by alternately dabbing it with a damp cloth or sponge and a dry cotton cloth. This probably will not remove the mold, but it may help lessen the stain.
Consult the professionals at SERVPRO of Lake Charles if the stain persists or reappears.
Before and after duct cleaning
In most places in the United States we have our AC or Heating on most of the day. Duct cleaning is the only way to maintain those air conduits that spout out hot or cold air in to our homes.
Just imagine not cleaning your carpet for 20 years… not a pretty sight is it?! Its the same with your air ducts, just that its not your feet getting dirty, its your lungs. Build up in air ducts could contain some very nasty pathogens like mold, bacteria, dust mites and more. So one of the clear advantages of duct cleaning is controlling the air quality in your home.
Some other advantages of duct cleaning include:
- Clearing any blockages in your HVAC system
- Improving indoor air quality
- Reducing allergies
- Extending the life of your AC system
- Reducing household dust
- Preventing mold problems
Call SERVPRO of Lake Charles for duct cleaning services and have a peace of mind about the air quality in your home.
For Immediate Service in Lake Charles. Call SERVPRO of Lake Charles
SERVPRO of Lake Charles provides 24-hour emergency service and is dedicated to being faster to any-sized disaster in Lake Charles and surrounding areas. We can respond immediately to your emergency and have the expertise to handle your restoration or cleaning needs.
- 24-Hour Emergency Service
- Faster to Any-Sized Disaster
- Highly Trained Restoration Technicians
- A Trusted Leader in the Restoration Industry
- Locally Owned and Operated
- Advanced Restoration and Cleaning Equipment
Have Questions? Call Us – SERVPRO of Lake Charles 337-478-1133
Whether your home needs emergency flood damage or your ducts cleaned, you can depend on us. Our technicians have extensive cleaning and restoration training and can make your property look its best. Learn more about our residential services:
- Water Damage Restoration
- Fire Damage Restoration
- Mold Remediation
- Storm Damage Restoration
- Carpet Cleaning
- Duct Cleaning
- Upholstery Cleaning
- Hard Surface Floor Cleaning
There's never a convenient time for fire or Water damage to strike your home or business. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when the need arises for professional cleaning or emergency restoration services we have the training and expertise to respond promptly with highly trained technicians to get your property back to business. Learn more about our services @ www.SERVPROlakecharles.com
- Commercial Water Damage Restoration
- Commercial Fire Damage Restoration
- Commercial Carpet Cleaning
- Commercial Duct Cleaning
Does Your Home Have a Mold Problem
Mold can spread through a home in as little as 48 hours
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today 337-478-1133
Reasons to Have Water Damage Professionally Dried
If you’ve recently had a severe water intrusion due to leaking pipes, flood or other causes, you might be thinking that you can handle it on your own. Keep in mind, though, that cleaning up water damage goes beyond wiping away the residue and letting everything dry. While we understand that you want to save money and maybe you’re a DIY type of person. But water damage can cause serious health problems if not cleaned properly. Can you see beyond the baseboards and carpet to know what you’re missing?
The following are some of the advantages of hiring SERVPRO of Lake Charles
A lot of people fail to realize how dangerous standing water can be. Depending on the source it could contain bacteria and pathogens, causing you to get sick just by touching it. You could potentially contaminate unaffected areas of your home or business by walking through contaminated water damaged areas.
Hiring SERVPRO of Lake Charles is a smart choice since we have been trained to know what needs to be done and how to do it safely by IICRC standards. In addition to that, we have the necessary equipment and experience to get the job done right. Getting it done right is important because getting it done wrong or incomplete could cost more money down the road.
Hiring the professional services of SERVPRO of Lake Charles is beneficial, as you can be sure that the cleanup will be done properly. This gives you an assurance that you will not face any issues later on.
Mold growth is one of the biggest problems with water damage. Any dampness left in porous materials can create an environment that is susceptible to mold growth. Protect your home from the development of mold by hiring professionals, and having it dried properly.
We use hydrosensors, moisture meters, and infrared cameras to assure we find all the wet materials created by a water damage event. Routinely check common areas that could potentially leak water, such as around the water heater, under sinks, and around toilets. Especially for areas that are not used routinely. Notify a professional if you find areas of concern.
Clean up should be done immediately, preferably within the first 24 hours. Be aware that mold can start to grow within 48-72 hours after porous material are water damaged. Your home can even be a breeding ground for bacteria, mildew and other contaminants if surfaces stay wet for over 48 hours.
In the event of water damage, it should be in your best interest to hire a professional company as soon as possible. Water damage problems can become very serious if left untreated. Our phone 337-478-1133 is monitored 24/7/365. We will call you back within an hour and be on site within four hours for emergency services.
Protect your belongings
Water from leaks, pipe bursts or floods can easily destroy your belongings, furnishings and even your home. While some of your things may be destroyed by water almost immediately, hiring SERVPRO of Lake Charles increases your chance of saving more of your belongings. We know that some things insurance money could not replace.
What to do after a fire
After the smoke clears and the soot settles in your home, you’re left with some critical questions. To help you overcome the devastation of a fire, here are the answers to some common questions about fire damage restoration:
- What is the first thing I should do after a fire? Call your insurance agent and submit your claim. He or she will provide you with information on securing your home.
- Can I inspect my house after the fire? Legally, only a licensed inspector like a structural engineer or industrial hygienist can determine the safety of a building. Besides, the risk of checking the fire damage yourself is too great. Call a professional.
- Do I really need professional clean-up if the fire was small? In most losses, cleaning the soot and smoke is the toughest part. Moreover, even small fires can cause major damage within minutes and leave lingering odors if not cleaned up properly. If you don’t act within a day or two of the fire, soot and smoke can leave permanent damage. Professionals have the tools and know-how to restore your home as fast as possible and mitigate the loss.
- What should I do with all the water that was used to put out the fire? Water can lead to more damage such as mold growth. Reputable restoration companies also extract the water from the damaged area as part of the fire restoration job.
- Can I stay in my home during the fire damage restoration process? This depends on the degree of the damage, your home’s layout, and your comfort level. As an alternate plan, talk with your insurance agent about off-site housing and staying at a hotel – these might be covered by your policy.
- How long will the restoration process take? The length of time varies on the extent of the damage. Additionally, local authorities and your insurance agent will also want to investigate the damage before the restoration company can start the clean-up.
- Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage? Call Us Today – SERVPRO of Lake Charles 337-478-1133
How do you know if you have a mold problem
Mold in a closet
How Do You Know if You Have a Mold Problem?
If you see mold growing in your home, then obviously you have a mold problem. However, mold often grows in places where it’s not easily spotted, like inside walls, under floors, in attics, and inside heating and air conditioning ducts. If you smell a musty odor in your home, you probably have mold growing somewhere. If your home has been flooded or had extensive water damage of any kind, you almost certainly have some mold, even if you don’t see any. Even a small water leak can cause mold to grow. If you, a family member, or a pet have any of the symptoms described above and you’re not sure of the cause, it’s also possible you have a mold problem.
To find out if you have mold in your home, we recommend hiring a professional mold tester. You can purchase mold tests to conduct yourself, but a professional has been trained to perform the tests correctly in order to get the most accurate results, and also knows where to test for mold in order to make sure all the mold in the home is discovered. They will also return after you’ve had the mold cleaned up by a mold remediation company to test your home again to make sure no mold was missed.
Preventing Water Damage
Water can enter your home in many ways and end up damaging the foundation. To fight back against water intrusion, take preventative measures both on your home’s interior and exterior. Here are essential tips to safeguard your home’s exterior from water:
- Check your roof to ensure the shingles, flashings or tiles aren’t missing, broken, cracked, curled or damaged in other ways.
- Make sure the vents, flues, chimneys, air conditioners, and evaporative coolers are properly installed and in good shape.
- Check for leaks around rooftop air-conditioning units, vents for exhaust or plumbing, or other specialized equipment.
- Cut tree limbs that hang above your roof so they don’t cling to shingles and trap moisture. Leaves or twigs can also clog your gutters.
Gutters and Downspouts
- Ensure these are clean, free from debris, and in good condition so that water can flow freely.
- Install metal screens to prevent leaves, twigs, silt and other debris from clogging the gutters and drainage holes.
- Ensure downspouts direct water at least five feet away from your home’s foundation. Install downspout extensions if needed.
Doors and Windows
- Check for leaks near the corners of your doors and windows. Signs of leaks include peeling paint, paint discoloration or swollen frame.
- Protect exterior doors and windows from the sun, rain, and snow by installing overhangs above them.
- Close your doors and windows to check for a tight fit. Look for cracks between the sash and frame of your windows.
- Repair or replace damaged flashing or weather-stripping around windows.
- Check and repair cracked or broken siding boards, bricks, stone or other masonry, as well as structural sheathing.
- Seal any openings from wiring, plumbing, phone, cable, and heating and air conditioning lines with foam or caulk. Repair any damaged or unpainted wood surrounding these openings.
- Check for signs of termite activity on the walls and the wooden structures around your foundation. Termites can eat wood, plaster, and even metal siding.
- Ensure that the exhaust vent doors properly open and close.
- Remove any shrubs and other landscaping features from along the walls.
- When irrigating the garden, avoid directing water towards the house to prevent excessive water near the foundation.
For professional water damage repair or mold removal service, call SERVPRO of Lake Charles @ 337-478-1133